George Clinton (72) on Quitting Drugs (plus new European Tour Dates)
From the keynote interview at the Ibiza International Music Summit (May 2014)
Craig McLean (at 24:42): Did you get paid for all these samples?
George Clinton: Nooo … that’s what made me stop doing drugs. You can not be fucked up and not expect things to be fucked up, too. I’m saying that it took me 72 years to find that out. Plus: The drugs was no good. Wasn’t even good drugs by the time, you know. Then I realized; Damn, I’m not even high; plus, they done took all my money.
Excerpt from an interview The Gurdian published in January 2014 („George Clinton: ‚I was born in a lavatory, so I have a legitimate claim on the funk'“):
Adrian Deevoy: Did you enjoy working with Primal Scream in 1994?
George Clinton: With Bobby [Gillespie]? That was like starting all over again. It was naughty but nice. We didn’t go too far with the partying so it was fun. Later, when crack came out, it just went completely nuts. You get what you wish for. You want to get fucked up, that’s what you get. Fucked up.
Adrian Deevoy: How did it feel the first time you smoked crack?
George Clinton: Oh my God, like bustin‘ a nut. It never happened again, I’ll tell you that. After the first one, you’re always reaching for that again and it never happens. I thought I had found acid again and it took me 30 years to realise that it ain’t acid. Ain’t even cocaine. They’ll still bust for coke, though. Even though there ain’t no coke in it.
George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic have just added new dates to their European tour schedule, two of them in Germany:
More on George Clinton, Parliament/Funkadelic and P.Funk
- Funky Farmer George Clinton (German version, 21.05.2009)
- Video des Tages: “Paint the White House Black” (20.01.2009)
- N.A.S.A.’s “Spirit of Apollo” Is a Contender for Best Hip Hop Album of the Year (02.02.2009)
- George Clinton Goes Nashville (11.02.2009)
- 15 CDs With Some Effect on My Life (21.02.2009)
- Meine 15 Lieblingsalben (1/3 – 1973-1977) (04.03.2009)
- Meine 15 Lieblingsalben (2/3 – 1978-1982) (04.03.2009)
- Meine 15 Lieblingsalben (3/3 – 1987-2004) (04.03.2009)
- The Funky Farmer: George Clinton Home Story (1986) (English version, 27.05.2009)
- George Clinton & Parliament/Funkadelic on Saturday Night Live (1986) (15.09.2009)
- R.I.P., Garry Shider! (Interview from the New Funk Times Archive) (17.06.2010)
- With my Palm Prē, I seem to be in good company (as in “GC”) … ;-) (09.02.2010)
- Question to Bootsy Collins: Did The J.B.’s Understand James Brown? (24.09.2011)